Sunday, June 20, 2010

Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

What is the best, quickest and most effective way to get rid the little monsters. I'm most conderned because I have a 9 month old baby who has loads of curly hair and I do not want her getting it.



My 8 year old also has reall thick, very long and very curly hair and in previous experience once she has them it is very hard for us to get rid of them...they seem to love her hair!



I have combed her hair out but it doesn't remove the eggs, and I'm worried about her passing them on to the baby.



I heard that there was a new product on the market that the lice are not immune to? Has anyone used it? what was you experience??



Thanks to all in advance.



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

You need to comb with a nit comb and lots of conditioner daily for 2 weeks. Then every 3 days for two weeks, then every week like forever. This is the only way to break the life cycle.



See http://www.chc.org/bugbusting/ for more info. It is Department of Health approved and involves no nasty chemicals. Did you know that head lice lotions contain the same chemicals as sheep dip? Why would anyone want to put that on a child's hair.



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

That first answer was really what I was going to say. I just have two extra pieces of advice:



- Sprinkle bicarbonate soda on your childs hair, and then administer some vinegar. This will shock the nits and loosen any eggs they've hatched. Just be careful not to get it in your little one's eyes!



- Try to use white conditioner when combing through your daughters hair, as this makes it easier to spot any lice.



Good luck!



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

Either you use the comb specially made for hair lice, or you use the a commercial shampoo that gets rid of it. It's called "KWELL" Shampoo, or what is shown on tv nowadays, its called "PERMETHRIN" Shampoo. I think you can buy these on drugstores (or anywhere if you'll look for it), . This is the typically used once for every ten days, i think. It's not the kind that you use often because it contains strong concentration of chemicals that kills head lice, even the eggs. =p



In addition to removal of lice from the hair, it is necessary to clean items such as bedding and clothing which the lice may also have infested. The items can be cleaned in hot water. Head lice do not survive in bedding and clothing for more than 24 hours. However, nits can survive for up to two weeks and must be killed with chemicals, removed by vacuuming or starved in quarantine for at least two weeks. Placing items into plastic bags and leave them undisturbed for 14 days, when the eggs hatch they will have no food. If you cannot store items such as stuffed animals and pillows wash with bleach and dry with heat.



Other items that should not be forgotten are; towels, upholstered furniture, matresses, car seats, carpets and rugs, nap cots, hats, scarves and gloves or mittens (children in particular will rub their heads with these on, thus infesting them too). You can use a vacuum and lice spray to clean many of these items which cannot be washed with water.



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

I know what you are going through because when i was raising my 4 grandkids thy came home with head lice and I would spend tons of money on medicines and have to sit for hours picking them off their heads and killing the nits. I finally tried what my doctor told me was the best way --and he was right. He said to wash their hair with just plain shampoo and rinse in the usual manner and then while their heads were still not fully dry, heat up my blow dryer and use it as hot as they could stand it without it burning them. Keep it moving constantly to prevent burns. I tried it and it worked so well that I never had to buy medicine again,As you are using the blow dryer it kills the lice and the eggs both .Thye can't live through it. I always did it over the bathtub and the lice will literally jump off the head and die .Or else the dryer causes them to blow off after they are dead. I just know that it works and I never had to fight the lice again.My grand daughter had real thick long hair that hung down to her waist.



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

my little girl had them a couple of years ago and the best was to get rid of them is tea tree oil and wet combing with conditioner i try loads of over the counter products and none of them worked



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

Hi.dont be embarrassed by this ,if it is any consolation they prefer clean hair. All of the advice given is good but another idea given by my hairdresser is if you have any hair straighteners use them,the heat will kill the nits and the live stock.obviously if your baby has them this one in not practical,but baby oil on the hair for the little one may keep the critters away.



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

Don't get frantic! Its part of life these days, unfortunately. They pick them up at school and its a hard cycle to get out of. Just do her hair once a week in a lice shampoo, put loads of conditioner on her hair and nit-comb thru over the bath. Change between shampoos that you use as I found they (lice) build up a resistance to the same shampoo being used. I have a few bottles of different ones and alternate between them. I found this works best and she (my daughter) hasn';t had them for a few months now. You can get a spray that keeps them off but using regular hair spray keeps them off too. Nits like a nice clean head... so one thats got hair spray etc is less attractive to them. Tie her hair up everyday in a pony tail, I find this helps too. When they reach senior school, for some reason, it occurs less. Maybe because the kids are less 'all over each other'. We've all been thru it (do your own head occasionally as well)!! True about the hair dryer thing, and straighteners... heat does them in, also swimming in public swimming pools (must be the chemicals and chlorine), that also gets rid of them. But don't panic. I bet theres not a single family thats not had a kid with them - in the UK... (and the world for that matter)!!!



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

Hi, i know what you are going through as my 5 yr old got them with in the 1st week of going back to school in September.



I used lyclear spray and the give you a metal nit comb too which i think are better than the plastic ones.



I think they are a complete waste of money, Ive used loads of conditioner and a nit comb since then and found it more successful, what i do is, wash hair with normal shampoo then put loads of conditioner on the hair comb with a normal comb to make sure all knots are out, section the hair into 4 sections then comb through from root to tip, wipe onto a baby wipe as tissue is useless when damp / wet, do this till all of the hair is combed through, but i then comb hair in all different directions as the lice cling to the hair.



I bought a head lice repellent from Wilkinson's for less than 鎷? which seems to be working as she hasn't has them since September. You will have to treat all the family though as they are easily caught, even baby as its only conditioner.



You could also buy some T-tree shampoo as lice HATE the smell.



Wash all bedding, clothing hats scarves etc on the highest temp possible to kill any lice that maybe on them as lice can live for up to 24hrs off a human host.



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

I would just use conditioner and a bone comb. Buy a cheap conditioner and put loads on. Then just simply use the comb through the hair. Repeat this every 2 days. After a week you should see a difference. Like you when it happened to my eldest i got really frantic as she had really curly hair at the time. Its very time consuming for you and the wee one, so just have Patience. Good Luck.



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

get gas



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

Don't bother with the lotion. It's horrible stuff and only kills the lice and not the eggs in my experience. The best thing to do has already been mentioned by a few people - wash and condition your daughter's hair and while it is still wet go through it thoroughly with a nit comb until you have found as many lice/eggs as you can. Repeat this procedure daily or at least every other day until you are sure there are no more. My daughter has very long thick hair and she has caught lice from school a couple of times. I find this way the best to deal with them. In future you might want to plait her hair for school, as it is harder for lice to get into plaited hair. Hope this helps.



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

forget the products! just use conditioner every 2 days for a week or so with a comb and get some baby oil put a drop or two of neem oil, and some geranium or anything mmmmmmmmmmm nice smelling, coat her hair in that plait it so its tidy and send her to school with that. 1 it will suffocate the buggers and 2 she wont get anymore cause they can;t grip. and just wash it out on the weekends, it works and its cheap. and don't get to fanatical about the washing, like super hot or bleach just normal works fine



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

HEDRIN!!



it works



my get used to get them all the time until i used that!!



it worked brill!!



Help Please!! My 8 year old has got headlice?

All good advice - apart from i really wouldn't resort to chemical warfare, and I would use tea-tre shampoo and conditioner. I would definitely insist on hair tied (pref plaited) for school - and woe betide her if she takes them out.



You do have to use a nit cmb not just an ordinary one - it's the only thing that gets the eggs out. You also need a discrete word with her friends' mums; these things are coming from somewhere, and they need to check all the kids' heads.



Lastly, sorry hon, but you need to do the whole family with the nit comb, not just her. And that includes Dad's beard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus scan