Thursday, June 17, 2010

What is this poem saying?

Combing: By Gladys Cardiff



Bending, I bow my head



And lay my hand upon



Her hair, combing, and think



How women do this for



Each other. My daughter鈥檚 hair



Curls against the comb,



Wet and fragrant鈥攐range



Parings. Her face, downcast,



Is quiet for one so young.



I take her place. Beneath



My mother鈥檚 hands I feel



The braids drawn up tight



As a piano wire and singing,



Vinegar-rinsed. Sitting



Before the oven I hear



The orange coils tick



The early hour before school.



She combed her grandmother



Mathilda鈥檚 hair using



A comb made out of bone.



Mathilda rocked her oak-wood



Chair, her face downcast,



Intent on tearing rags



In strips to braid a cotton



Rug from bits of orange



And brown. A simple act,



Preparing hair. Something



Women do for each other,



Plaiting the generations.



What is this poem saying?

The poem says it outright.



It's about the little links between mother and daughter and grandaughter and great-grandaughter, ad infinitum, through time. It's about links between us all -- or, plaits, if you will.



What is this poem saying?

links or tradition in family

1 comment:

 
virus scan